Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Can't Write When I'm Sick

   Today's post will be short due to sickness. I have the mother of all colds and can't concentrate. I sure you all have been there at some time. Can't sleep cause I can't breathe. Nose is red and sore from constant blowing and my chest and stomach muscles are on fire from sneezing and coughing.
   While trying to come up with something to say here, I thought, why not just share a favorite scene from my book. This is a short scene from 'The Princess and the Apprentice' that I still get a kick out of. Hope you enjoy and thanks for reading.


In the morning, the sound of splashing water brought Aldan up out of the depths of empty dreams. It took a moment for his heavy eyelids to lift far enough to focus on the person standing by the wash basin. Embarrassed by the sight of Odessa running a wet cloth over her nude body he groaned and rolled over to face the wall. His imagination however relentlessly filled his mind with a vision his eyes could not see as the sounds of cloth against skin continued. Silence and a gentle hand on his shoulder brought an end to the fantasy.
“Are you awake?”
“Are you dressed?”
“Yes.”
“Then I’m awake,” he answered, rolled over and made room so she could sit on the edge of the bed. Her expression told him nothing but he could feel the heat travel up his neck. “Forgive me, Odessa. I didn’t mean to peek.”
“Did you like what you saw?”
As her dark green eyes pinned him to the bed and a vision of her smooth pale skin flooded through his mind, all he managed was a nod. Words weren’t needed.
“Good. Now sit up so I can change the bandage on your chest.”
Aldan did as he was told and held up his arms so she could un-wrap the strips of cloth. The effort required less than it would have been yesterday and the original pain in his chest non-existent. Her gentle hands and the scent of her bath soap chased away the last of his embarrassment.
With the last strip of cloth dangling forgotten in her hand, the Princess stared un-blinking at his chest. After a moment she raised her eyes to his. “There isn’t even a scar. How is that possible?”
Aldan had known what she would find beneath the bandages and reached out to take her hand, removing the strip of cloth and placing it with the others. “I have read that the original purpose of blood magic was healing so I’m not surprised.”
Fear and sorrow fought for control of her expression as she stood and tried to pull away. “You must hate me.”
“I could never hate you, Odessa. Just the opposite. But you are wise to be afraid. The magic of blood can be very seductive. The temptation is always there to shed a little more blood to gain more power. I will help you if I can but you will have to overcome those temptations on your own.”
She searched his eyes for any sign of deceit and finding none, leaned down to kiss him on the forehead. On the way out she turned back to him with a mischievous smile. “I’ll let the others know you’ll be down as soon as you put your clothes back on.”

“Odessa!” But it was too late. Only the closed door heard him.

No comments:

Post a Comment