Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Description vs. Dialogue

   This came up in a conversation online where someone worried they had written too much dialogue and not enough description. They felt their dialogue was the stronger aspect of their writing and struggled to write good descriptions. This question comes up all the time in writer groups online and in my critique group. Here are my thoughts.
   One thing to keep in mind is how everyone looks at the world differently. You and I could read the same description and see something totally different. You could describe a scene in the finest, most minute detail, and the reader will see a different scene than you intended. Some of it depends on that person's life experiences. If you are trying to describe a rain forest in your story and the reader has visited the rain forests of the Pacific Northwest, then that is what they'll see in their mind's eye regardless of how you describe it.
   While it's fine to write to your strengths, too much of a good thing can get boring. If you force yourself to write a little description here and there throughout the narrative, eventually it will get easier and your writing will improve. I feel it's especially important to help the reader, when you change scenes, by adding at least enough description to set the new scene. I think you'd be surprised how little description some readers need to envision a fully developed scene.
   Today's scene is from one of my stories, and while there is plenty of emotion I hope you can feel, it is also a good example of introducing a new scene. A short description in the beginning to develop the scene, and subtle descriptions mixed in with the dialogue to enhance the emotion.
   As with everything else I've discovered in writing, balance is the key to keeping my interest. Thanks for reading!



Nestled up against the base of Mount Baltok, where the capital city of Kiplar had originally set down its roots, sat an old non-descript inn. Known as the place for late night meetings between discreet lovers, and those whose actions were best kept hidden, its innkeeper never lacked for money. No one remembered the inn’s original name. Based on the faded sign above the door, that supposedly sported the likeness of the first Queen of Dahlian with two pints of ale pictured below, the name “The Queen’s Jugs” had stuck. Only the innkeeper was aware of the irony of the name considering the identity of one of his patrons.
In a dark booth farthest from the door, two hooded figures sat in a lovers embrace. The pain of long-buried memories resurfacing threatened to overwhelm the Queen as she softly kissed the lips of the old arms-master and gently traced the scars on his cheek with her fingers. The face of a young guardsman hovered before her as the past overcame the present, and she lost herself to the feelings she had buried for so long. He reached up to cover her hand with his as she pulled back, the flickering candlelight revealing a sad smile on his face.
“The memory of your soft lips has never left me even after all these years. Please believe me when I say I never stopped loving you, Olivia. I used to curse the Eyes for the position we found ourselves in, until I realized I could protect you better from the shadows than by your side.”
“Oh Malcom, I’ve missed you so,” she murmured while resting her head on his shoulder. “What happened to our love, my handsome young protector?  Why have you chosen now to bring back painful memories from so long ago?”
The arms-master stiffened at her question and then let out a sigh heavy with regret. “The Deluti happened. It is also one of the reasons I needed to meet with you like this. The story I have to tell may not be easy for you to hear.”
It was Olivia’s turn to stiffen as she lifted her head and stared at him, the eyes of a queen replacing those of a young princess in love. “I’m listening.”

2 comments:

  1. 1) One of the best, but perhaps not easiest, ways for description is to include "bits of business" in dialogue. A character turns away in an argument, too angry to appreciate the sun setting over the distant mountains. A character sighs, plucking a long grass stem to tear apart in idle thought. A character nervously twirls his/her long hair on one finger while listening. Etc, etc.

    2) The segment is good. The tender reunion comes thru fine, but may be over too quickly. It is obviously special enough that I'd suggest at least another paragraph to give the mush "weight" before the two characters got down to brass tacks.

    3) One glaring hiccup is "non-descript inn" with no follow-up. In an utterly unknown fantasy world, what does a commonplace inn look like? It's like saying "he was a non-descript Martian". 2.5 meters tall with four arms and tusks? A bear-sized bulk atop a mass of writhing tentacles? Little green bug-eyed man?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Murray! Great examples you've shared combining dialogue and description.
    It bothers me when a writer takes a scene and drags it out so I have a tendency to be too short. I know I can add a little more to this scene.
    Ha ha, how is it you can always pick up on things that drive me crazy. Every time I read this scene and see "non-descript" it bothers me and I spend time trying to come up with a better word. I think I'll just re-write the entire sentence.
    Thanks again for commenting!

    ReplyDelete