Wednesday, August 8, 2018

The Long Road Back

   It will be a while before I can get back in the saddle again, but at least I've been re-acquainting myself with the horse. I've gone back to a couple of my short stories and concentrated on incorporating some of the suggestions I received from my critique group months ago. Re-submitted to both groups and the feedback has been positive so far. It is so much easier to come back when everyone is so enthusiastic about your return.
   The larger stories will have to wait. I don't write using outlines, or plot every scene in my stories. They come together in my head over a period of time, and when I'm satisfied, it gets put down on paper. So much has happened over the past year or so that the second book in the series I was working on has disappeared. I will have to go back and re-read the first book and everything I've written up to this point to get the story back in my head. Only then will I be able to continue.
   It's frustrating all the little things that are interfering with my life right now. Over the last couple of months as I was healing, about the only thing I could do was sleep and day-dream. Now it's a constant battle not to fall back on that routine every time I close my eyes. Nothing is getting done! After they pulled the artery out of my leg to use on my heart, I've had trouble walking normally. Finally, yesterday it was like a switch turned on in my brain, and I can walk again. I'm hoping something like that will happen soon with my hands as it's like I've forgotten how to write. Since I write all my stories by hand, this hasn't helped my attempts to return.
   When I started this blog a couple years ago, I would always add a short scene I'd just written. People rarely commented so I eventually stopped. Would anyone be interested in reading scenes again? If so, let me know and I'll start sharing again.
   Thanks for reading.



4 comments:

  1. Git along little cowpoke! Ride that horse!

    My wife had to do some major recuperating such you're enduring a couple of years ago, but so far I've dodged that experience. So far...

    In the abstract, posting scenes sounds like a whizbang idea. In reality, though, scenes out of context are difficult to comment upon. I have no immediate ideas for a solution as I write quick as I can before the dinner bell...

    Onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, and whatever you do, don't miss the dinner bell!

      Delete
  2. I gotta go along with Big Murr on the scenes. But if you add and explanation as to what the scene is to accomplish it could work for comments. Give that a try.

    So glad you're feeling better. Think you're up to getting out to meeting? You've been missed. I think I'll make 4th Tuesday, hope to see you. -Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jerry! I should be able to make it to the meetings now. Yeah, I'll have to give sharing scenes some more thought.

      Delete