Wednesday, December 27, 2017

A Shift in Priorities

   I'm so sick right now, I can barely think straight, but I want to write one last blog before the year ends.
   It has been an interesting year to say the least. I started out in January on a high note. The final scenes to my first full length novel were written, and my writing partners loved it. I found someone to design an awesome cover and format the print version for a price I could afford. Everything was falling into place for my first book signing in a couple months time.
   The book released to mixed reviews to my great disappointment. I sold a few copies at the book signing, mostly to friends and family. The city decided to start a six month project completely redoing the street in front of our house, and then my beloved friend got sick, deathly sick. Suddenly my writing wasn't important anymore.
   The next six or seven months are a blur. She wanted to die, and I wouldn't let her. I monitored and adjusted her meds and what she ate 24/7. She was totally bed ridden. Plus it was a constant battle with the construction crews to make surer I could always get out of the driveway to take her to dialysis or the hospital. I tried writing during that time, but couldn't keep my mind focused on it. I felt bad because I wasn't doing my share in our critique group or with my writing partners.
   My friend has been back on her feet now for a couple months, though she will never be totally healthy. My writing partners and critique group stuck with me and even asked that I take over the group after our previous administrator decided to step down. I don't know if I'll ever regain the enthusiasm for writing I had before. It just doesn't seem as important to me as it used to.
   The year did end on a positive note however. I finally got to meet Debbie Macomber. When our local chapter of the RWA disbanded several years ago, which Debbie had originally founded, we maintained our mailing list, and I'd done my best to keep everyone together. I would occasionally set up lunch dates or morning coffee get-togethers. I didn't realize Debbie was on that list and had seen all my e-mails. She invited me to a Christmas function at her newly remodeled offices and personally thanked me for doing what I could to keep the group together. That was a really nice surprise.
   Being that I'm from the generation that believes in finishing what you started, I'll continue to write and someday finish the series. It might take a while as writing no longer carries the same importance as it did before.
   Hope you all had a blessed Christmas, and I wish you all the best in the coming year.
   Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

  1. Dawn (DLKeur) here. You know, I totally 'get' that you've creatively had a devastatingly debilitating year that drained you emotionally and physically completely. But, think on it. You started the year by giving birth. Then, you literally gave of your own vital spirit to revive the life spirit of another -- a human other -- one of the hardest of all creatures to convince to change their chosen course. Bringing another back from the pathway of death is completely and utterly life-draining. Completely. Yet, here you are, at the end of the year, still alive, a little frayed around the edges, perhaps, but still kicking. And, next year, gods willing and the sun comes up, too, you are going to kick ass! Here's to you, Roland. (And be prepared for a surprise in the new year, okay?) Now, get to writing -- a chapter a day will do it, 5 chapters a week. Just rough drafts, each, even if just sketched and full of holes. JUST DO IT. --Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, indeed, Dawn. Well said.

      (except for the "chapter a day"...hokey smokes!!)

      Delete
  2. Hang in there, seems too many of us are at an age where life often gets in the way and the importance of our writing fades. I go in spurts depending on my own health, and those around me dealing with health issues. Hope you get to relax and write a few pages soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, Shipmate. Bummer you're feeling down with the creepy stuff. It's that time of year. I try and stay away from sickies, especially little kids - they are walking petri dishes of germs. I'm hoping you'll be well into recovery by Tuesday. Hate for you to miss our session.

    I remember well, your going through that tough time with your friend. I can emphasize. Years ago I had walking pneumonia to the point I was wishing I was dead, just for the relief. So I really do know how she must have felt. That you took on the burden of bringing her back from the brink is commendable. It is a blessing to be in the service of others. You will have your reward, if not in this life, then the next. Nevertheless, I expect you to bounce back in short order. Besides, you are our group's celebrity, our claim to fame. Like having Steven King in our group.

    Dawn doesn't realize you're not a rough draft type writer. So, a chapter a quarter will work. Besides, you should be incentivised reading some of our stuff. You know we can do better and egg us on to do so. Thus presenting your work is the, see this is how it's done.

    See you Tuesday. - Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone for all your wonderful comments and well wishes. Eventually I'll bounce back, but the older I get, the harder it is.
    I just got back from Prompt Care, and I've got fluid in the right lung again. At least now I've got meds to take care of it.
    Here's wishing you all a healthy and prosperous new year.

    Roland.

    ReplyDelete