Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Twas The Blog Before Christmas...

   Here's wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, or whatever phrase means the most to you. This time of year is not about what we say, but what we do. It's a time of giving and helping others. It's a time for forgiveness and reaching out to those we've disagreed with in the past. Life is too short, and we are only hurting ourselves by holding a grudge.
   Three years ago, I started this journey to become a writer and it has been amazing. I've always had trouble making friends, not because people didn't like me, but because I was reluctant to let others into my life. At my age and inability to get out much, I had resigned myself to the idea I would spend the rest of my life lonely. The number of friends I've met on Social Media, and especially the in-person friends I've found through critique groups and writing partners has given me a new lease on life. I've reconnected with classmates from the sixties, most of whom live thousands of miles away, and shipmates from the seventies who I thought I'd never talk to again. It turned out one of my Navy buddies had lived only a couple miles away for years, and we never knew.
   My greatest pleasure comes from the writing partners I've found. It was a huge step for me to invite someone into my home, and it wouldn't have surprised me if they had declined my offer. It is such a blessing to have someone you can share your hopes and dreams with, and who understands the frustrations when the story bogs down and isn't progressing the way you want it. I feel all of us have improved as writers, and our stories are richer and more meaningful. It really helps when we can use each other as a sounding board to work out difficult scenes.
   If you are a writer, my sincere hope is that you find others to sit down with, face to face on a regular basis, and work together through laughter and a few tears. As the saying goes, "Iron sharpens iron".
   Thanks for reading, and I'll see you all next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment