Wednesday, August 17, 2016

First Draft - Edit - Done

   For the past several years I have attempted to emulate the writing style of others, and it's been nothing but frustration. So many writers talk about daily, or weekly word counts, and write multiple drafts, I thought I needed to do the same. I've finally accepted the fact I can not write that way.
   I write in my head. Where others do draft after draft on paper, (or on the computer), I go over each scene in my mind as many times as it takes until I'm satisfied. Part of that is because of my ability to envision the scene like a movie. I continuously hit replay, changing the characters voice, interactions and actions, the setting, etc, until everything fits together correctly and I can put it on paper.
   I have to thank my writing partners who convinced me this was okay. I felt bad only submitting maybe 8-10 pages for critique while they had written 20-30. They pointed out that they would end up re-writing those pages three or four times, where as mine, after little or no changes, was done.
   I'll never be able to pump out a story every couple of months, but I've already got many of the important scenes for the next two books set in my head. Like one of my partners said, "Even when you're not writing, you're still writing." The closer I get to the end of this book, the easier it is to write since I've been developing these scenes in my head for over a year. Whoever said you should know the end before you start, had it right. It's so much easier to put in foreshadowing and gauge the progress of your characters when you know where they need to be at the end.
   Hopefully this means I'll have this book ready to publish before the end of the year. I still have to find the time to sit down and write what's in my head into a notebook and then into the computer. Sometimes that can be a challenge with the way my life is.
   I can't imagine I'm the only one who writes like this. If this is similar to your writing style, I would love to hear from you.
   Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment