Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Surgery & Writing

   I've noticed a number of folks still checking my blog and I apologize for not posting the last couple of weeks. After my heart attack it's been difficult thinking about anything other than my upcoming surgery. Writing just doesn't seem as important as it was before. I finally saw the cardio-vascular surgeon today. He wants several more tests done, but right now it looks like I'll be having a quadruple by-pass the second week of May. Won't know the exact date until he checks the hospital schedule. I was hoping to get it done sooner, but he doesn't want any surprises and neither do I.
   Since this is supposed to be a blog about writing, I do have some thoughts I wanted to share today. I belong to a number of different writer's groups, and lately there have been several folks posting questions such as; "I've written my book, now what?" or "How do I get started?" My answer to that is always; "Join a critique group."
   I know it's been said a million times, but it's true, especially for writers; "No man is an island." Anyone can write a story. To write a good one, however, you need help. That's where a critique group is invaluable. I can't think of much that is more disheartening to a new writer who has spent months, or maybe years writing their story, and then have people tell them all the things that are wrong with it.
   Start out simple by writing a chapter or two, and submit them to a group that will help you discover your strong points and weak points. Work on those weak points as you continue to write. You can always come back later and re-write those beginning chapters. World building, character sheets, story boards, etc. are fine, but won't help you write prose that flows, stays in the correct tense and POV, and paints a picture for the reader. Once you understand the basics and find your voice, then you can fill in your world and develop your characters.
   The final step in story-telling is to have a professional editor help you polish your gem. After that comes the fun part, getting people to actually read your story. This is where you need someone with artistic abilities to build a cover that will entice readers to stop and take a look. Remember, most readers see books on sites like Amazon where the cover is the size of a thumbnail. Regardless of how well the story is written, if folks aren't hooked by your cover, they'll never stop to read the blurb.
   I don't think there are are many truly bad stories, just stories that are poorly written. Find a group to help you learn the craft of writing and you'll be on your way. Good luck and good writing!
   Thanks for reading.


4 comments:

  1. Best wishes and prayers for your surgery. I certainly can ditto your take on critique/writer groups. It has done wonders for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jerry! I guess things are a little more clogged than I thought.
      Yeah, I can't imagine trying to write anything without help from others.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I would accept that sort of surgery would be reasonable distraction from blog-writing. Best of luck! Onward and upward!

    After "join a writing group", I would add as the first sub-clause: "And leave your Attitude at home." Writing is an intensely solitary affair, so you have to make sure your diplomacy skills are rust-free and oiled up. You're there to learn and you're there to teach at the same time, so bring all the friendly consideration and open-minded modesty you can carry.

    And you can't dump all that stuff at the coat rack when you get home. You can't just slip back into you Attitude. You have to really give a think to the various suggestions offered your piece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Murray!
      This is why whenever someone asks to join our closed group, I always tell them to attend a meeting first. We may not be a good fit for them, and they may not be a good fit for us. Attitude and the ability to accept critique are a must. Over the years, I've had to tell several people to adjust their attitude, or simply don't come back.

      Delete