Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Downside of Writing

   From the time I learned to read until my early sixties, I was a voracious reader. I read anything I could get my hands on. Every book in our little library at my elementary school had fueled my imagination by the time I graduated. In high school, I would sit in the back of the class, course book propped up on my desk with a paperback inside. I never went anywhere without a book.
   If I had money, bookstore here I come! If not, it was off to the library to come home with an armload of books. Sometimes, when I would run out of fantasy or sci/fi, I would grab some of my wife's westerns or romances. As long as they were well written, I enjoyed them all. When money got tight, I got picky and only bought books that were over five hundred pages so I could make them last a day or two. I didn't care what genre it was, it just had to be long. And don't even ask me how many times I picked up a new book with an awesome cover, intriguing blurb, get a couple chapters in and realize it's a re-release of a book I'd read years earlier. 
   Ironically, it was love of epic tales that drove me to start writing. Unwilling to shell out 7-8 dollars for a book I could devour in a couple hours, and unable to find new epic length books I hadn't already read, I got a wild hair up my butt and decided to write my own. Now it frustrates me to no end that in the four years I've been writing I've probably read less then ten books. And most of those were from writer friends I'd met online or agreed to beta read.
   I have an entire shelf full of books from my favorite authors I've bought over the last couple years that are still sitting there untouched. I can no longer read simply for the pure enjoyment of it. I'm always looking for plot arcs, where's the hook, or how is this character developing. Minor errors I would never have noticed before stand out like sore thumbs. And of course there is always this little voice in the back of my head asking: "Why are you reading? You should be writing!"
   I don't think I could ever stop being a writer now. It is what I am. However, there are times I wish I could turn back the clock, never pick up that pen or write that first short story, just continue my life being filled with the joy of reading.
   Thanks for listening.


4 comments:

  1. I made this exact lament last Sunday at Writing Group, not for the first time (or probably the last).

    However, I'm sure it's a curse that affects any expert. I doubt gourmet chefs can blissfully munch on a fast food burger. Oscar-winning directors likely have trouble enjoying just any movie.

    The key point I want to focus on is this "little voice" and its lousy nagging. EVERY Big Name Author essentially says "If you don't read, you can't write" (in their own words). It's calisthenics for the brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only hope that in time I will learn to ignore that "little voice", and enjoy reading stories once again.

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness the Misses has a full 'honey-do' list for me or i would be grafted to my computer chair. When it comes to reading I'm not speedy. I 'm not slow either. I get in couple books a month. I get to read between 2030 & 2200. Then an hour around 2-3 A.M. I would rather read than lie awake thinking about everything under the sun or moon in this case. Also I get in about two audio books a month will I'm working on my list.

    I think I do a little score keeping between what I'm reading and what I'm writing. Sometimes I think I'm doing better. I don't look for hooks, voice comes naturally, so don't notice. I read a pretty good book where the author said in his preface that he couldn't afford an editor so here is the best he could do. Guess what - he needs an editor. But the book was well written with an engaging story and I got use to the minor errors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Falling asleep is one thing I haven't had a problem with for a long time. The medication I'm on puts me to sleep almost as soon as my head hits the pillow.
      I used to read at least 3-4 books a week, more if they were short. But if I'm reading, I'm not writing, and it takes me forever to write anything. Someday.

      Delete