Wednesday, October 11, 2017

I'm Drowning In A Flood Of Story Ideas

   Normally, I would think of a multitude of ideas as a good thing, but right now, they're preventing me from focusing on the story I need to finish. There are too many stories floating around in my head right now, and every one of them wants to be written now. It's like a bunch of kids all shouting, "Me... Me... Me!"
   I tried starting a couple of them hoping to appease the voices, but that just made the others yell louder. I want to concentrate on the next story in the series I've already started, and they are driving me nuts! Every time I try to visualize the next scene in my WIP, scenes from other stories muscle in and take me down roads I don't want to travel right now.
   This is what I get for ignoring my muse for over six months. All that time she was trying to be helpful and coming up with new ideas I could work on in the little time I had. I know you don't have time for the main story, but how about this short story, or a children's book, or maybe a western. All great ideas, but if I don't put out book two pretty soon, folks will have forgotten there was ever a book one.
   I've probably been driving my critique group crazy as they never knew what kind of a story I'd be submitting month to month. Now I'm hearing the questions, "What happened to the last story? When are you going to finish the story from two months ago? I really want to know what happens next." It helps that most of them enjoy my writing and give me the encouragement I need to continue.
   Well, gotta go, my muse is calling. "What? You've got an idea for a Christmas Romance. Nooo!"
   Thanks for reading.

P.S. Apparently my attempt at satire didn't go over very well last week, so I won't be doing that again.

Picture is first book. It's been so long, even I need to re-read it.


2 comments:

  1. Your point is well taken on getting book 2 out. Now, that I have Hulu, Vudu, Amazon, HBO, Showtime and a plethora of prime time television series, I'm losing track of what I've been watching between the months they lay off to shoot more episodes.

    I find the same thing happens with series of books. When I read a book in a series and then look for the next and it isn't there so by the time it shows up, if ever, I've forgotten the first.

    Having a flood of story ideas is wonderful. Although, they may clash, I think it's better to have the ideas than not. I find a flash fiction on an idea helps to clear the cobwebs growing in the corners of my novel. Six hundred to a thousand words can be knocked out in an hour. Then back to business.

    Anyway, now you mention that Christmas romance...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having too many ideas is certainly better than none, but it sure gets frustrating sometimes. One day, I'll write a Christmas Romance. Lol

      Delete