Wednesday, September 27, 2017

I've Lost My Way

   I really don't know where this blog post is going anymore than I know where my stories are going. I've always enjoyed character driven stories so much that the story itself wasn't all that important. I can remember characters I fell in love with, but I couldn't tell you what the story was about. So when I started writing, naturally I followed the same pattern and concentrated on my characters. Apparently that's not good enough.
   I've attempted to make sure all my characters are distinct individuals with solid personalities. Some are moody and introspective, some are innocent and naive, and some are just plain fun. My secondary characters usually stay the same to provide a stable environment for the MCs who are forced to change and grow as they navigate life.
   When I first started writing, it was fun and exciting as characters continually appeared and clamored to be part of the story. It was a challenge sometimes to make sure they all had an important part to play in the overall story line. Now that the first book in the series is complete, the characters are well established and I'm not sure there is room to add others. I've already been told there are too many characters as it is. The thrill of meeting new characters is no longer there.
   I write every scene with a specific purpose in mind and not just to fill space. The characters are there and say what they say for a reason. I try to describe the scene with just enough detail to make it easy for most readers to accurately form a vision in their mind. Based on the abundant and wonderful praise I've received over the years for individual scenes shared to various groups, I assumed I had succeeded. Unfortunately, I've had a number of folks who loved my scenes and characters, but were sorely disappointed after reading the completed story.
   I'm at a total loss on how to proceed. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've received several wonderful 4 &5 star reviews on Amazon, but a two year old could count the number of books I've sold there. Only one person, who I respect as a successful writer, has offered suggestions. They made it about a quarter of the way through and then sent me a nice e-mail attempting to explain why they didn't like it. The problem is I didn't understand most of what they said. I am not a student of literature. I didn't start writing until my sixties, and write from the heart not the head. My heart is no longer in it.
   As I struggle to write the next book, the only thing that keeps me going is that my critique group seems to think I still write rich and compelling scenes with solid characters. I can't help the constant nagging doubt whether the second book will be any better than the first.
   My only hope is that someday I'll find my way again.
   Thanks for reading.

Picture is my little buddy who looks as lost as I am.

4 comments:

  1. I think it is natural to get in the dumps from time to time. We've talked before about the audience. Not every thing is for everyone.

    You and I have contrasting writing styles. Yours is meticulous, detailed characters. Mine is message, delivered with twist and turns that develops the characters as it goes.

    I suppose the proof of the pudding is what sells. I wouldn't be to disappointed though were I you. Look at the sheer volume of YA fantasy available for a person to pick from. Especially, in this time of magic, superheros and gifted villains. The genre is bloated.

    Let's inspect our reasons for writing. It is more than spinning a good yarn. It's our way of saying something meaningful wrapped in a entertaining fabric. That's easy to say. Hard to accomplish. There are so many facets, character arcs, main plots, subplots, and not to mention the mechanics of similes, metaphors, personifications and seeing the same thing from several points of view. The paste that binds them all together is grammar and vocabulary. Is it any wonder, those of us that launch a career at the age of sixty-plus find ourselves well behind the curve of those that put out material at twenty.

    I would like to say, "I don't care." But, I do. I can't go back and redo. I can only do. The writing group has been a godsend for my writing. The advice and editing offered makes the delivery of my stories so much better. I am truly grateful. I sometimes feel I am getting so much more than I offer. I read a piece and think this is great. Then I listen to someone else critique the same piece and make all kinds of observations and suggestions that, when I hear it, I think why didn't I see that.

    Yet, the longer I write, read, and listen the better I get. The downside to that is my reading becomes more critical when I'm just reading for fun.

    Now, why would someone give you five-stars if they didn't like your story? And why would someone tell you why they couldn't get through your book? I have certainly put down a few books part way through. The fact they let you know why gives you something to think about. Perhaps some change may be in order, not that previously writing was bad, just that newer material might be better. The fives from before will still be fives and the quitter might not quit. It's a win win.

    In your previous blog, you wrote about the difference between storytelling and writing. Take C.J. Brightley's books for instance. Starts off with great fresh take on Elves and Vampires. Super good writing, clever everything. I barely was able to finish the first book and couldn't stomach any more of her books because of the heavy-handed preaching. A whole lot of to much message. I don't think she particularly cares about what I think. She has a certain following that she writes to that I'm not a part of.

    Point is, write what you like. Take or leave the criticism as you see fit. Every word you put on the page makes the writing better. But, I'm not saying anything you don't already know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Jerry, I do already know all that, but sometimes I just get in a mood. The depression sets in, confidence plummets, and the frustration builds over not being where I had envisioned my life to be at this point in my life. How much longer do I have left? God only knows and he's not saying.
      If I can just find my way back to enjoying writing, I'll be happy.

      Delete
  2. I'm interested in reading what the established writer told you. How about publishing it? If it was advice given in confidence, you could strip out anything that would identify the author.

    If your problem is plot construction, why not collaborate with another writer? Let someone with a talent for story development give you the outline and flesh out the content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travis, I'll have to go back to the e-mail and look it over, but if I remember, it was pretty specific to my story. Without having already read it, I don't think the comments would make much sense. Like I said, I will go back and if there is something in there I think is generic enough to be helpful, I'll send it to you.

      Delete