Wednesday, May 20, 2015

No Politics or Religion Here

   I have decided that the purpose of my blog will be to share some of my writing. I already share parts of my WIPs on WattPad and Saturdayscenes, so here you will find little snippets I use for character development, or like today, scenes out of my fanfic that will never see the light of day because of copyright issues. That's fine. I'm writing it solely for my own enjoyment, since I love the story so much.
   This is a blog about fantasy fiction, so you will never see a post on politics or religion. I have no problem discussing my views with someone who is serious, and not just looking for a name calling contest. I might offer an opinion on a particular writing technique, or lament the trials and tribulations of trying to create quality stories, but that's about it.
   If you're not familiar with the story my fanfic is based on, sorry but it would take more than a blog post to explain it to you. Hopefully you will like my voice and style. For those of you familiar with the story, I hope you will get some small enjoyment out of this.
   Thanks for your time!


                                                               *           *           *


  
   Perrin stopped a few paces from the Wise Ones, and swiftly sorted through the aroma of emotions that emanated from each of them. Sorilea’s were easy to pick out, not only because she was foremost in the group, but because they were the strongest. Determination was the most prominent, which he expected, but what he didn’t expect was a certain amount of uncertainty. Well, these were uncertain times, so maybe it wasn’t that surprising after all. The others put off such a jumble of emotions, it didn’t really tell him anything at all.


   “I see you, Sorilea of Clan Shande. May you always find water and shade. It isn’t much, but I offer you the shade of my tent and water to share.”


   Pleasantly surprised by his traditional Aiel greeting, Sorilea graciously tipped her head and replied in kind. “I see you Perrin Aybara. May you always find water and shade. The traditional guest gift I have for you may not be what you want, but I offer it regardless. Several clan Chiefs and their Wise Ones have approached me with the idea of serving under the Banner of one of the Wetlander Kings. Many of the Brotherless, and even several small Septs of the Shaido, who were unhappy with the leadership of Savanna, have contacted me with the same desire. Do not treat this lightly, Perrin Aybara. If you accept this gift, it will be for life. They will become your people and give up being Aiel.”


   The mood turned somber as the import of Sorilea’s words penetrated the thoughts of all gathered there. This cannot be my ta’veren nature at work here, Perrin thought. This was much deeper than that. The fate of an entire nation was at stake. No wonder she had smelled uncertain. Sorilea understood that if they survived the Last Battle, a new Age would come and the Aiel would have no purpose in it. Their numbers would dwindle and eventually die away. Could he provide the leadership and protection they would require?


   “Bloody ashes, woman. This is a heavy responsibility you have presented to me, but I gladly accept. I believe that I understand your reasoning and I agree. I give you my oath, that in the hope of my salvation and rebirth under the Light, I, Perrin Aybara will lead and protect all of my people to the best of my ability. Now I ask of you another gift in return. There are thousands of Aiel warriors who are serving their time as gai’shain. I ask that you release them from their servitude for the duration of the upcoming battle. Every spear will be needed, Sorilea. It bothers me that we may lose a battle because some of our best warriors are serving tea or washing clothes somewhere.”


   Before she could answer, a ray of sunshine broke through the clouds to the north and a perfect circle of blue sky spread out from that ray. A soft breeze sprang up, carrying the scents of green and growing plants. The grass at their feet slowly turned from a yellowish brown to a bright green and started growing taller. It was one thing to hear the stories of how Rand affected the land around him, but to actually witness it was something else. It gave Perrin a renewed sense of hope and strength.


   Turning away from the sight and adjusting the shawl on her shoulders, Sorilea narrowed her eyes. “You are uncommonly wise for a Wetlander, Perrin Aybara. The gai’shain never entered my mind. If they survive, they can always go back to their easy life. I will send out the word right away.”


   “Thank you, I think,” Perrin snorted. “You’re pretty wise for a Wise One yourself. Now, I’m sure you wish to meet with the Wise Ones who just arrived and I need to go to Rand. Edarra, I must ask you to welcome the new Aiel to our camp, get them settled, and tell them I will meet with them later.”


   Turning back to study his old friend for a moment, Perrin continued. “Gaul my good friend, as a personal favor to me, will you meet with the Brotherless and find out who leads them? Tell them that if they don’t have a leader, I will give them one.”


   “Dealing with the Brotherless will be distasteful, Perrin Aybara, but you have just given me back my sanity by having Bain and Chiad released from being my gai’shain. Maybe now I can have some peace.”


   Sorilea walked away laughing and called back over her shoulder. “May you always find water and shade, Perrin Aybara.”

No comments:

Post a Comment